4 Activities Near Hayes Valley
May 12, 2022
A cultural and culinary hub of San Francisco, Hayes Valley is the perfect neighborhood for anything including a romantic night or a tourist day trip. Originally populated around the 1850's, Hayes Valley has evolved into a tourist attraction spot of San Francisco with famous landmarks surrounding the area, including the SF City Hall (1915), Davies Symphony Hall (1980), War Memorial Opera House (1932), Civic Center (1912), and only minutes away from San Francisco’s famous Union Square. This guide will help highlight our favorite places and it's distance from Hayes Valley neighborhood.
To read about the rise of Hayes Valley click here to read our other article on the Neighborhood's fascinating history.
San Francisco City Hall
Located in the Civic Center district, this landmark stands tall with its impressive dome and surrounding plaza. The city hall of the city by the bay, the building hosts 'Docent Tours' every Friday at 1:00pm and last around 45 minutes (Click Here to View).
Here are some fun facts about the City Hall:
- The final scene of the movie Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark was filmed here
- San Francisco City Hall is 40 feet taller than the US Capitol Building, making it the tallest dome in the United States
- The original city hall was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake
- Marilyn Monroe married Joe Di Maggio in 1954 in a private room of the city hall
- The architect, Arthur Brown Jr., also designed the War Memorial Opera House in 1932
For more information visit the website https://www.sfcityhallevents.org/
War Memorial Opera House (
With a capacity of 3,186, this stunning building serves as the San Francisco Ballet and Opera House. With ballet and opera performances nearly every night, this makes for a cute date night activity (Click Here to View Calendar).
Here are some fun facts about the War Memorial Opera House
- The United Nations was birthed in this building, President Truman signed the United Nations accord here
- The Opera House was built in 1932
- The movie Steve Jobs was filmed here although past Apple Keynotes were hosted in the Moscone Center
For more information visit the website https://sfwarmemorial.org/
Love Jazz? Then you'll love this jazz club near Hayes Valley. With concerts almost every day, this is a Jazz enthusiast's dream. (Link to Weekly Schedule)
Doppio Zero San Francisco
Nothing better than a delicious and authentic Italian restaurant in SF while exploring the beautiful city. With award winning Neapolitan Pizza and handmade pasta, Doppio Zero stands out as a gem in the restaurant scene in San Francisco. From Truffle Potato croquettes to delicious Tiramisù, there's something for everyone, vegetarians, carnivores, and everything in between!