10 Fun Facts About Neapolitan Pizza
What are some of the facts you didn't know about Neapolitan Pizza? See how many you know!
If you want a detailed description on the history of pizza click here.
If you want to read about the difference of Neapolitan and Other Styles of Pizza click here.
- Wood Fired Ovens are used because of the very high temperatures inside of the oven (850-900°F)
- Neapolitan Pizzas are in the oven for only about 90 seconds due to the high temperatures in the wood fired ovens
- There are only four ingredients water, salt, fresh yeast, and 00 Flour (Doppio Zero Flour) known for its light properties. View video here
- Most of the ingredients including the tomato come from the Southern Region of Italy
- Parmigiano cheese is added with a circular motion by the Pizzaiolo
- Margherita pizza was originally made for Queen Margherita
- The ingredients of a Margherita Pizza have the colors of the Italian flag (Green = Basil, White = Mozzarella Cheese, Red = Tomatoes)
- 00 Flour is the refined flour used in Neapolitan pizza with low gluten, hence, easier to digest
- The tomatoes must come specifically from the Campania region where Naples is located (The founding city of pizza).
- The original pizzas are the Margherita and Marinara, but there have been several variations since then!
Doppio Zero Pizzeria
Doppio Zero is located in the Bay Area with three locations, San Francisco, Mountain View, and Concord. Our Neapolitan Pizza is verified by ‘VPN’ and has been voted ‘#19 Best Pizza in the US’ by 50TopPizza. In addition, Doppio Zero has an extensive wine list and pasta made fresh every day. A truly Southern Italian experience and a favorite in the Bay Area Italian Restaurant scene!